We’re hosting wine tasting club tonight and I thought, as a little gimmick, I’d like to make some wine food that was a bit different than you’d expect.
So, I made these (sorry the recipe’s a bit of a jumble between weights and cups but I always find it easier using cups for liquids & the evil that is icing sugar):
Red Wine Cupcakes
190g plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
0.25 tsp salt
1/2 cup veg oil
0.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup milk
red food colouring (I use paste)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix together the sugar, oil and eggs until smooth (I do this in the food processor so I don’t have to wash the mixer bowl for doing the frosting!). Add the vanilla extract and mix again.
- Add alternating dry and wet ingredients to the processor – first 1/3 of the dry mixture, then the milk, then dry, then the wine, then last of the dry. Then add food colouring to get the colour you want. The mix is very runny.
- Split between 16 cases (2 and a bit tbspns each case) and bake for 20-25 mins.
Chocolate & Red Wine Frosting
2.75 cups icing sugar
6 tbspns cocoa
5 tbspns red wine
1tsp vanilla extract
- Sift the sugar and cocoa and set aside.
- Cream the butter until smooth and gradually beat in the sugar alternated with a tablespoon of wine.
- Beat in the vanilla.
Frost the cupcakes and decorate. I used some very pale pink glimmer and half a red grape dusted with gold powder.
Thanks for looking,